Colin J. Tarrant
Zoning, Land Use and Development
Community Association Law
Colin focuses his practice in business and commercial litigation, real estate development, land use and zoning.
Colin has a unique blend of litigation, real estate, and land use experience, he concentrates his practice on representing clients in complex business, financial, employment, trust and estate, real estate, and land use litigation. In addition, Colin represents energy and utility companies, developers, builders, property owners, and local governments in land use, permitting, and municipal law matters. He regularly appears in State and Federal Court, as well as before City Councils, Planning Commissions, and Boards of Adjustment related to site plans, subdivisions, annexations, text amendments, code interpretations, rezoning and special use permits.
Raised in Raleigh, Colin has lived and practiced law in Wilmington since 2006. He previously practiced with Smith Moore Leatherwood LLP and Fox Rothschild LLP in Wilmington before moving to Block, Crouch, Keeter, Behm & Sayed, LLP in August 2019. Colin is married and has three children. He enjoys being on the water with his family and coaching his children in various sports. Colin is currently a member of the New Hanover County Planning Board and has previously held positions on the New Hanover County Board of Adjustment, the Greater Wilmington Chamber of Commerce Board, and is past-chair of the Executive Board of Wilmington Downtown, Inc. (WDI).
- New England School of Law School (J.D., 2006)
- North Carolina State University (B.A., 2002)
Admitted to Practice
- North Carolina State Bar, 2006
- United States District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina, 2011
- United States District Court, Middle District of North Carolina, 2013
Honors and Distinctions
- Legal Elite – Young Guns, Business NC, 2015
- “Super Lawyer” North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2018-2020
- Leadership Wilmington, Greater Wilmington Chamber of Commerce, 2012
- Leadership Academy, North Carolina Bar Association, 2013
- Building Trial Skills: North Carolina, National Institute of Trial Advocacy, 2014
Professional and Personal Affiliations
- Fifth Judicial Bar, Member
- North Carolina Bar Association, Member
- Zoning, Planning & Land Use Section Council, North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina Academy of Trial Lawyers
- New Hanover County Bar Association